One of the things that constantly surprises me on a daily basis is the number of businesses, artists, musicians, organizations, or non-profits that still do not have an online presence. Many not only have no social media presence but also do not have even the simplest of websites.
It saddens me when I see this because so many of these businesses, people, and organizations have amazing services and products but no modern means of finding new customers or audiences to grow their brand and expand their opportunities.
Now I suppose there are many reasons for people to be reluctant to enter the online world especially with all the privacy breaches happening the last few years. However, there are so many positive reasons to set up a social media presence that far outreach the negative ones.
Here are just a few reasons to take a deep breath and say ‘yes’ to creating your online social media presence:
- Spread The Word – One of the easiest ways to teach people about who you are and what you do is by having a social media presence. Now you don’t have to have a profile on every social media platform – as a matter of fact not every social media platform fits every type of business or person (I’ll have an article on that topic coming up) – but not having any social media profiles is akin to sitting in a dark room hoping someone will find your business. Without an online presence how do you expect people to know who you are and what you do?
- Build A Brand – No matter what business you’re in, you have a brand image. Whether the image is you as a musician or artist or your product or services, every business, organization, non-profit, musician, or artist needs to create and spread its brand. Without a brand or image, your audience might not be clear about who you are and what it is that you do. Social media (and websites for that matter) are a very strong way to build your brand so the world knows what to expect from your business.
- Create A Tribe/Community – All businesses and personalities need friends, fans, and acquaintances who have a love of what you do and provide for them. This is about creating a tribe or community based around your products or services. These will be the people who are constantly promoting you and your business for free by sharing their experiences with you and your company with everyone they know (and don’t know). This is also where like-minded people who love what you do or create for them will get together to discuss topics, events, and life experiences that have been elevated because of you or your business. Having this type of community rallying around you or your business is an invaluable resource and having a social media presence is one of the best ways to create this type of unique setting.
- Build Trusted Relationships – People trust people and businesses that others trust. Statistically speaking, people are more likely to do business with companies or individuals that others trust and promote – regardless of whether they know those people or not. The fact is that the more you are able to build trusted relationships with the type of people who are in your target audience, the more likely those people will recommend your products or services to others. Having an online presence is a great way to build trusted relationships and record all the positive experiences that you or your business bring to its customers or audience.
- Create Rapport – There is no way that you or your business can personally meet all the people that make up your customer or audience base…or is there? Social media creates an environment where you and your business can personally interact with all the members of your customer-base or audience. Social media makes it genuinely possible to personally interact with every one of your fans virtually in real time no matter where in the world they are. This type of interaction not only builds trust but also rapport. The ability to ask questions and receive answers from you and your business is one of the best ways to build rapport and create an audience of raving fans.
- Influence SEO Rankings – It’s no secret that SEO (A.K.A. Search Engine Optimization) is really important when it comes to finding your audience and spreading your brand far and wide. Some of the simplest ways to influence SEO rankings is to have a website and social media profiles that have quality content that is fresh and consistently updated. Search engines like Google and others have algorithms that determine how high a website or social media profile ranks in searches and the bottom line is that the more present you and your business are online the higher you will rank when someone is searching for you. Not having any social media profiles will definitely hinder your audience from finding you and your brand’s products.
- Find New Customers And Free Promotion – Without new customers or audience members your business is not likely to grow and thrive. A social media presence not only let’s those people who are looking for you find you but it also allows those people who have found you to promote you, your products/services, and your talent (for free, I might add) by sharing, commenting, and liking the content you add to your pages. Why would you pass up free promotion and new customers?
I could go on and on about the reasons why you and your business need an online presence but I think you get the point by now. The times are definitely changing and exponentially so when it comes to technology. There used to be a time when print ads and a sign in your business’ window was all you needed to build a steadily growing income but those days are all but gone. Today a business or brand without an online presence is doomed to struggle at best and fail at worst.
So what are you waiting for? Set up your social media profiles right now. It’s free and will put you one step closer to the income potential and success you’ve been working so hard to accomplish. Don’t let this opportunity pass you by. Take an action this minute to make you and an your business a social media superstar.
GET A COPY OF MY BOOK HERE: To learn more about how to make your business a social media superstar so that you start getting the recognition and income you deserve, get your copy of Making Your Business A Social Media Superstar on Amazon here or Barnes and Noble here.
For questions or to inquire about hiring the Social Media Superstar Academy to help you achieve your social media superstar success contact us by clicking here.
Veronica Buhl is the owner of Social Media Superstar Academy and the author of Making Your Business A Social Media Superstar. She has been a Social Media Manager for over 15 years serving clients in businesses ranging from music, academia, consumer products, self improvement, poker, and non-profit animal rescue just to name a few. She is also co-author of the book The Massage Disadvantage and is currently working on a follow-up social media book that is getting larger by the day. She hopes to have that book completed and published in early 2020.